Thursday, September 15, 2011

Say You're With Me

Title from The Rocket Summer's song Hills And Valleys.

 I saw him in concert a few weeks ago, and it probably deserves it's own blog post. But that's not what this one is about. This one is about me vicariously living my dreams through my Hermana.


Yes, the same Hermana from the "I Think I Need A Sunrise" post.

http://merissalinn.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-think-i-need-sunrise.html

And the "I'm Living Again, Awake & Alive" post.

http://merissalinn.blogspot.com/2010/08/im-living-again-awake-alive.html
sd

You get the picture. Holly is a pretty big deal. And today, she reached a milestone in becoming a pretty big deal in a lot more people's lives. Today, My Hermana received her mission call. She has been called to serve in the Scotland/Ireland mission, English speaking, reporting to the England MTC. I kind of feel like i'm cheating just saying that right at the beginning. Let me back up a little.

It was a MESS trying to find out where she'd be serving. I knew she got her call, but she wasn't gonna open it until after work. And when she got off work was when I was playing PowderPuff. And then I couldn't find anywhere where I had service on campus for the life of me. And I would get voicemails, but it wouldn't show missed calls. And then i'd find somewhere with service long enough to receive a text, but then I couldn't send one. It was ridiculous. We must have played phone tag 800 times, because I had to hear it from her. Text simply would not do. But eventually, my phone rang and the call actually went through and there was screaming and jumping up and down like a fool in the middle of campus and I finally found out where my Hermana would be spending the next year and a half of her life.

The first time I remember Holly mentioning a mission was on one of the van rides either to or from Mexico this past December trip. I don't remember for sure if it was on the back to the states or if it was on our way down, but I do recall that it was the same conversation that she told me about The Rocket Summer. (I didn't know it at the time, but they'd become one of my favorite bands. Obviously.) Anyways, I don't remember exactly how it came up, but as soon as she talked about the idea of serving a mission, I was positive that it was the best idea i'd ever heard. She hadn't made up her mind yet, but I knew. I knew from that moment that she was gonna be called to serve.

You see, I have a lot of faith in Holly as a person. She's just a solid friend and one of those people who i've never had to worry about. And I mean, you can read the whole Sunrise post if you want to know about what it means to be an Hermana. And truly, that's the best way I can possibly think to describe our friendship. Hermanas. But besides just being a great friend, I know first hand that Holly's gonna make a phenomenal missionary. I know because even before today, before she was called to serve, even before January 19th when she reports to the England MTC, she was the missionary that brought ME to the gospel.

Now, I don't mean to cause confusion. Holly was just living life the way it's supposed to be lived, being an amazing example, being a "member missionary" as its called. And I was born into a great LDS family and I was baptized when I was 8 and all that good stuff. But it really wasn't until I met Holly that I really took church seriously or really understood that this was the stuff in life that matters. Again, you can read those other posts if you want to understand the change of heart that took place after "the carpool list that changed our lives" and the first trip to TJ. But as i'm just sitting here today in my little dorm room in Cedar City, UT, thinking about the psychology book I should be reading or the PowderPuff football game I just played in, I can't help but become ECSTATIC for the people in Scotland and Ireland who are doing similar things - probably sweeping the floor or watching soccer or whatever it is people do there. I get so excited for them because I know the difference the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ has made in my life, and how much happier i've become because of it. And when I think about those Irish and Scottish people just sitting there, some who may not even know what the Book Of Mormon is or know that Joseph Smith ever existed, when I think about the fact that one of my best friends in the entire world, the fact that my own Hermana will be directly instrumental in bringing the Gospel to their lives, I can't help but smile. Well, smile or cry depending on which 5 minute period of thought is occurring at the moment, but you know what I mean. I can't help but feel something powerful for those people because I know what it's already done for me. And I know that Holly knows how to get that incredible message of the LDS faith across effectively because I've been on the receiving end. And I know that she'll be able to be an instrument in the Lord's hands to change even more lives and bring them the joy the gospel has brought me.

I think about all of it and it just hits me. Today, My Hermana has been called to serve; her everyday life for 18 months will be committed to doing for other people what she has already done for me. And I feel so incredibly grateful that i've had the gospel in my life this long. And to have the desire to spread that light. And that my Heavenly Father cared and loved me enough to give me a friend like Holly when I needed it the most. And that in a few short months, there will be people half way across the world thinking the exact same thing. They're gonna be so blessed by the gospel, they'll feel so loved to have had Sister Rindlisbacher come into their lives right when they needed it and they'll want to spread the good news of the gospel. And when it comes right down to it, i'm just so incredibly excited for my Hermana to get out there and do her thing and find strength in the Lord and come even closer to Him than she already is, and bring folks with her as she becomes closer to Him.

I guess it all just culminates into one huge mess of me not doing anything even close to Psychology homework.  But that's okay, because it's not everyday that my hero, my closest friend, my Hermana gets her mission call. Today, my friends, today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment